Monday, July 9, 2012

Kennet Square Criterium

After a good week of racing so far, I was looking forward to a Friday evening criterium.  However, I wasn't sure if the racing miles would take their toll, leaving me with tired legs, or the intensity would turn out to be a good tune-up.  The Wednesday RR was grueling, but the Thursday Night crits went well, ending up only 1 point behind the winner.  Now, Friday, I'd find out.

We had 40 laps on a tight four corner course, with a moderate change in elevation.  I took a few laps around, and turns 3 & 4 looked potentially gnarly.  After a fast downhill section on the back straight, there were two tight 90 degree left hand turns, with some rough pavement, tall curbs, manhole covers, and general road defects.  Just after turn 4, the finishing straight turned into an uphill drag.


The effect of this was vicious at the back of the pack.  The field would unavoidably bunch up and slow down through the turns, then coming through turn 4 required sprinting up the hill to close gaps.  NOT easy or fun at the rear.  After a few laps of that, I decided to do something else and moved up to the front.  With 35 to go, I made a moderate attack up the S/F straight, and rolled off solo.  I was hoping that at least one or two others would go with me, but this course had a lot of breakaway potential.  Alas, I was on my own.



Over the next 25 laps, I rode tempo, keeping a steady effort on the back stretch, and up the hill, but carrying more speed through turns 3&4, and into the hill.  On this course, I think that it was probably more efficient being out on my own, instead of in the field.

I got to a maximum gap of 25 seconds, before getting caught with 10 laps to go.  I sat in for a bit, but quickly got back to the front and worked on staying in the top 5-6 position.



I was second wheel with 2 to go, in a pretty good position, when I ended up on the front for the bell lap.  That was perfect, and I gladly took the front position.  On the downhill backstretch, I was getting good communication from whoever was on my wheel, and kept the tempo just right to keep anyone from coming around.  After 25 laps on my own, I knew the perfect line through both turns, accelerated around the final high speed turn, and then launched my sprint wide open from the very bottom of the final straight.  I didn't look back until I crossed the line, very happy to take another win for the week.



The crowds were into it, more live bands, and lots of great eating options right there in central Kennett Square.  Becca and I found a good Asian restaurant, and I ordered an awesome Sushi & Sashimi platter, with a refreshing mango drink.  It tasted great.

Thanks to Carolyn Worthington for the photos.

2 comments:

  1. you're really on a role marten!!!! good job--i heard the heat was sweltering

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, it was really hot (for PA), high 90s and cracking 100, plus humid. I still feel like I'm trying to rehydrate.

      Delete

Followers