Sunday, July 8, 2012

Coatesville Classic


I missed the first 3 events of the Chesco GrandPrix, but wanted to at least make it a few of the races, sounded like a fun series.  There was a live band, Victory brewing had a big tent setup with a kitchen and lots of beer, and the announcer sounded like the same guy from Beacon cross, animated and funny.  There was a good crowd of spectators lined around the course, adding a lot of energy to the atmosphere and another element to the race.


I wasn't feeling super fresh after a good ride with the Cutter's crew on Saturday (still can't believe watching John Gabor big-ring up Haupts Bridge).  I lined up at the back of the Cat 3 field, and thought that this might turn into a training ride.  Right from the go, guys were attacking and it was 7-8 laps of mostly strung out single file.  The course was fun, 6 corners with some quick turns, and one very long straight, but still mostly open and smooth.  Some small elevation changes, and the accordion effect at the back of the field was pretty bad, going through the tight turns.  No attacks were sticking though, everything was coming back, and I was planning on taking my chances in a field sprint.  

However, after two guys attacked really hard in succession and were pulled back, I felt a lull in the field with 10 to go, and made a moderate attack up the start-finish straight.  I guess the guys that had been doing all the chasing were tired, because they just let me roll away.  I was waffling between committing all out 100%, and just sitting up because I didn't want to try and solo to the end.  



I ended up doing something in the middle, just riding tempo, dangling in front of the field at about 10 seconds, then 17 seconds, then I got a time check from "Lamprey Systems" to "second place" and heard the announcer talking about NC State, at which point I knew David M. was bridging up, he lapped the field on Saturday, we lapped the field together at Wrightsville, so I was glad to hear he was coming.  He had a much harder time getting away from the field, as he was a marked man, and no one wanted to let him go, or else everyone wanted to go with him.  I soft pedaled for a bit, and he finally joined up with me.  We immediately started rotating smoothly, but soon after 2 other guys joined up.  
We were close enough to the field that guys could make the bridge.  But then three of us really committed 100% (at least I was at my limit), we dropped the fourth, and then the time gaps started going up again.   
 The spectators were really a good motivation, and the announcer was giving us time checks.  
We came around the final turn with me at third wheel, I tried to time my jump just right, got by second place, but was losing steam and he pipped me at the line despite my desperate attempt at a bike throw.  The field had ramped it up, and came through just a few seconds later.

Thanks to Carolyn Worthington for the photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers