Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Nittany Cross 2011

Cross is finally here, and it is great to have Nittany Lion so close by to kick things off. David, Ron, and Roland started in the Cs, while Chris and Greg went for the Masters 35+ which looks super competitive this year. The field was totally stacked. Chris missed his start, but still managed to charge his way through most of it to land a top 30 spot.



Unlike the fast dust bowl that we raced last year, the recent rain made this course super muddy, with several big muddy sections, including one puddle that smelled suspiciously like sewage. I liked the course, though, more running then last year and not as fast, which suits me a bit better. My pre-reg put me about smack dab in the middle of the 2/3/4 B field, and I got a decent start.



By lap two I was moving up and was somewhere in the top 20 when my left pedal fell off. I half walked half jogged back to the pits and got it reattached. My own fault for not tightening it enough. After that, I was pretty much at the back, so just concentrated on seeing how far I could move back up in the remaining laps.



A fun race, but I was hoping to get a better result on Sunday, no excuses. I felt pretty good, and again staged right about smack dab in the middle of the field. The start was fast, like usual, but suddenly after about 100 meters there were bodies and bikes laying on the ground in front of me and I had no way to avoid them, next thing I knew there about 3 bikes piled on top of me. After untangling myself from the mess, I tried to jump back on to continue, but the rear wheel was going nowhere. It took me a second to realize that it was totally taco'd. Unfortunately, for another guy caught in the crash, his new carbon tubulars were totally trashed. So we did the reasonable thing and headed over the heckling corner and demanded beers.



It was awesome seeing Jeremy Powers in action, I didn't realize he was racing until I saw him on the course. Wow.

Next week is Charm City.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers