Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Charm City 2011

Wow, I did not realize how fast this race was going to fill up. I'm lucky to have been able to race on Sunday. A few weeks ago, when I finally got around to registering, Saturday was full, and Sunday had precisely one spot left.

Good: I got to race, not as good: I get to stage at the very back of the field. Every number was called up from 400 to 524, and wearing the final digits, I got to choose my place in the rear. My goal had gone from getting a top 25, to try and see how far I could move up.

Also, hope my wheels didn't collapse, or my new tubies roll off.

The course was fast and flowy, and I managed to scoot through a few large groups of people early in the race which definitely helped. I was definitely struggling on some of the more technical sections, especially the barriers, the sand, and clipping in after. Need to work on that more.



Thanks to Dennisbike.com for the photos.

With about two to go, I caught up to a NCVC and a Bicycle Therapy rider, we traded spots a couple of times, but I couldn't stay in front of them. I gave it one last shot in the final meters, but couldn't pass them. So final spot, 32nd.

I rimmed out hard on some of the curbs between the grass and pavement sections, fortunately no flats, and the tires felt like they had good traction in the twisty parts. First ride on the new wheels was definitely a success.

Next week, Whirly Bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers