Sunday, October 21, 2012

West Chester Cross

The crossresults race predictor had me at 13th, so my goal was set to try and beat that result.  It couldn't have been a better day with temperatures in the 60s, sun and low humidity, I was looking forward to this race.  I also had finally sorted out all my tubular issues, so today might actually be the first race that I'd finish with both my front and rear tubulars intact.  I still decided to play it slightly conservative and run a bit higher pressure, 27.5 psi in the rear, 26 in the front. 

We had a small group at the starting grid, so a front row start wasn't critical, I just wanted to not make the same mistake that I did at TownHall and implode after the first lap.  There were some fast guys on the line, and Geronimo lined up with literally less then 30 seconds to go, adding to the list. 

I played the start about right, going hard, but staying within myself.  Geronimo pulled some fantastic stunt on the first lap, somersaulting over his bike after hitting a rut wrong, and sending his bike over the tape and into the field.  Without breaking stride, he tumbled off the course, rolled to his feet, recovered his bike from the field, launched a flying remount, and rolled back up underneath the course tape and picking up right where he left off. 

After the first lap, a lead group of 7-8 formed, and I was dangling a few seconds back.  I spent a lap trying to chase, but I was losing time, and I decided that I was better off just trying to stay smooth.  I was ahead of a BikeReg guy, and Gerald until I swiped some course tape and took myself out. 

I caught back up BikeReg, but Gerald started pouring it on after an uncharacteristically slow start from him, and he was gone.  I passed the BikeReg guy, but Wyatt Stoup was coming up fast.  I started looking back, and seeing the gap dwindle.  Finally, on the last section of the final lap, he passed me and my final attempts at a sprint weren't nearly enough. 

The course was a lot of fun, good use of the available elevation, and the laps (despite being longer then average) went very quickly.  Managed to beat my prediction (barely) and the tubulars survived intact.  I could have gone down a few psi in pressure, but success. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers