Sunday, June 12, 2011

Mt. Nebo race report 2011

I had some high expectations for this race, which means based on my record so far this season, I'd probably not do so well. It didn't help that at 5 am I wake up to thunderstorms, and this on the radar:



Despite leaving extra early for the race, and giving myself more then an hour and half, I missed my turn and almost ended up in Maryland before realizing my mistake. Just getting to the race became the challenge.

Fortunately made it just in time, plus the skies were clearing up a little, and the roads were dry.

The first time up the finishing climb, I went to the front to push the pace a little. I wanted to try and keep the tempo up, and hopefully get to the final climb in a smaller group.



The hills took their toll, and by the time we came around on lap 2, the front of the field was down to 10-12 riders.



The finish was to be decided in a drag race up the final climb. I realized very quickly that I wasn't going to be able to go with the leaders, and I needed to make sure that I didn't blow up before the top. Mostly, I really wanted the last two points I needed for a Cat 3 upgrade (which meant 6th or better), so I was counting spots and trying to hold my position. Not that it would have made much of a difference, I was at my limit.



Rolled across for 5th, I really like the Mt. Nebo course, it is challenging and fun.



Thanks to Julie Elliot for the photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers