Monday, November 29, 2010

Mt. Mitchell, attempt #2

This time, the forecast looked great, and I was really gung-ho to actually get to the top of Mt. Mitchell this time. The weather started off in the high 40s, and with several layers I felt prepared for colder temperatures at the top. I didn't realize how much colder, however, and I wouldn't have minded bringing some of the layers I decided to leave in the car.

The climb up was beautiful, not a cloud in the sky and visibility seemed to be unlimited. The grade was steady and gradual, perfect for setting into a rhythm.



There were a few tunnels along the way, and only a handful of cars. I did see two other bikers coming down.



When I hit the first little short descent, I came around the back side of a ridge where it was hidden from direct sun light. That was my first little blast of COLD. Snow drifts along the side of the road and large icicles hanging from the rocks.



I was glad to get climbing again. The northern side of the ridges and peaks were covered in ice.



The last 4 miles really kicked up (about 8%) which was a real kick in the gut after 30+ miles of climbing already. That was definitely the hardest part, but I knew I was near the top, so that served as extra motivation. The final summit is hidden from view, and there were plenty of false peaks on the way, but finally I emerged onto a paved ramp to a look out platform on the very top. I actually didn't spend much more then a minute up there, the wind was blowing hard, and according to a thermometer it was 20 F, (about -7 C), plenty cold. I wanted to get moving again.



With the summit at 6684, and starting around 2100, that was a total of about 4500 feet of climbing in 3 hours. One more quick look around, and I was ready to get off the top of the mountain.



The descent was when I really started to get cold, it is nothing but mile after mile of descending, with a strong, cold wind blowing. Fortunately, despite the sun starting to set, the weather was getting continually warmer as I descended. What took 3 hours to climb, barely took an hour and a half to descend.

My water bottle froze up, so with only drinking a few ounces over 5 hours, I was mildly dehydrated. It took a day to get enough fluids back in.

A hot tea was the first order of business.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, awesome! I'd love to journey like that someday...but when it's warmer! You make me cold just looking at the pictures. Congrats on making it to the top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. woo hoo for asheville bike riding!!! you were cold coming back to the hospital i do remember the hot tea being a must!! can't wait til you guys come back.

    ReplyDelete

Followers