Thursday, November 25, 2010

Blue Ridge Parkway

Besides cross races, and mountain biking, Asheville has the the Blue Ridge Parkway nearby which is an ideal place for road biking. I set out with the bold attempt to climb to Mt. Mitchell, which would be about 80 miles round trip. So I packed plenty of food:



I started off with arm and knee warmers, and it felt too warm for that. The sun was out, the skies were blue, and the climbing kept me plenty warm. The grade was never very steep, but long and steady so it was easy to settle into a comfortable rhythm.



I turned one switch back and felt my stomach turn when I saw a big, black cloud over the ridge. It didn't look good...



Literally one minute I was standing in the sun, and the next I watched as the shadow came across the range and hid the sun from view. Note the shadows from the direct sun.



I kept going, but very quickly the temperature dropped suddenly, the wind picked up, and the rain started. While the climbing was still comfortable, I knew the descent was going to be cold, so I decided the prudent thing to do was head back. A dry pair of clothes and a hot cup of tea sounded very appealing.

I made it about half way, maybe next time...

2 comments:

  1. I just saw your blog on a blogroll- I interested by title of your post - Mt. Mitchell. I was there in 2005 for a cycling trip with my friends, and I LOVED it! The grade is tough, but manageable, and the views are breathtaking! I also found that we started the ride comfortably, but at the top we ended up cutting garbage bags to put inside our socks and gloves for extra warmth on the descent lol! The rest of the Blue Ridge Parkway was also beautiful, I would love to go back and cycle there again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, it is a beautiful place for biking, for sure. Definitely gets cold towards the top! The long descent was more then chilly.

    ReplyDelete

Followers