Sunday, January 10, 2010

2010: Goals and Ambitions

Like every new beginning, it feels appropriate to take a step back and lay down some goals for the new year. To try and keep myself accountable, I'll spell them out here, so here they are:


  • Upgrade to Cat 3 in Road This will be my main goal for this year. I had several 10th place finishes last year, but upgrade points start at 9th. Although there are several routes to a Cat 3 upgrade, I'd like to earn mine via points. I think this will be doable, but it won't come easily. I'll probably have to focus on hilly races like Mt. Nebo and work on developing something that at least resembles a sprint.

  • Compete in a stage race. I'd like to try one of those 3 event weekend stage races with a RR, crit, and TT. This means I gotta work on my TT.

  • Improve TT, do 8 miles in 20 minutes or less. This works out to 24 mph average, and I'm a long way to being able to sustain that for 20 minutes. I think this would really help in my quest for a road upgrade, as well as improve my cycling over all.

  • Not get dropped before mile 10 of Battenkill Masters 30+ I don't expect to make the first selection, but I'd like to at least hang with the main pack. Last year was apparently 30+ mph, so this will be interesting.

  • Upgrade to Cat 3 cyclocross This really isn't a goal, all I have to do is one more race. Cyclocross doesn't need any goals, it is just pure fun.

  • Keep Running I want to do some trail races, maybe a Ron Horne event.

  • Multisport This has got to be the year for a duathlon or triathlon. They look like fun.



And that's it. The TT goal will be the toughest I think, I'll focus on strength training this winter, and then switch to high intensity intervals and 2x20 type workouts in the spring. Oh man, I can't wait, 2010 will be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers