Sunday, March 4, 2012

Frozen Toed Season Opener Day 2: Rutgers Crit 2012

The A field is definitely a pretty significant jump up from the B field. My plan for the crit was to try and conserve as much as possible, and try to avoid getting behind any big breaks in the field. Step one was to stage well, but then I blew that by completely missing my pedal, and utterly failing to clip in. A couple of attacks, 2 guys got away for a while, but eventually everything came back. I could move up on the back climb, but would invariably slip back on the descent. Several times I let gaps open, and had to find faster wheels to follow down the hill.

Two big changes from last year: not a points race, and the S/F was moved to the front straight, after the descent, not so good for me, it would make for a very fast sprint. There was a near collision at the start of the climb one lap, and things got a little pinched by the curb before that first turn, but mostly good racing.

With two to go, I knew I needed to at least try and move up, but got boxed in on the inside of the climb, and the final lap was so fast, it was all I could do to just hang on. Got behind some gaps on the descent, and finished at the back. At least I didn't flat, and managed to hang on for the duration of the 60 minutes.

Another big difference in the A field is the average cost of their bikes, holy crap. I looked around once and saw a Super Record 11 group, at least one electronic group, several power taps, and lots of expensive carbon fiber. The collective cost of the bikes in the A group must be quite staggering. I also noticed another guy with the same KCNC brakes (in black), don't see those too often.

May skip the crit next weekend, but I'll probably do the RR. Sort of surprised all the distances are so short, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers