Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easterns at PSU, Nittany Classic Black Mo' RR

Wow, I missed out on the TTT and crit, but Penn State put on an awesome road race.

I was concerned about the forecast of 100% chance of rain, plus thunderstorms, that could make for a wet and miserable 64 miles.



We came from the east, so we got to preview the 5+ mile climb from the comfort of our car. As we ascended, we entered the clouds and the fog got so thick that the visibility was nearly nil. I crept along at 20 mph and we kept our eyes peeled for cyclists in the mist.



Tom on the climb in the fog. Sorry, I don't know who took these pictures, I think that they circulated from somewhere in facebook land.



Devin on his way to a 28th place finish in a huge C field, his last collegiate race.

Brandon, Eric, and I staged for the start of the B race, and after a short delay, we were off. Everyone seemed well aware of the long race ahead of us, not to mention the climbing, so we rolled off relatively chill. I sat at the back, and just took it easy until we came around to the base of the climb. There is a short "prelude" to the actual climb, not long or steep (about a mile at 3%), but it seemed like a good place to start moving towards the front.

On the first time up the main climb, I decided to just set a steady tempo, and see what happened. I wanted to keep a small group together, and keep good reserves for the next two trips up that climb.

By the time we crested the summit, we had somewhere around 10-12 guys, and I think a few more chased on in the following rollers. The first time check we got was something over a minute, but shortly after it came down to 30-40 seconds. There was some attempt to re-organize and start rotating, and we managed to do a respectable job. I wasn't too worried about more people chasing on, as we had 2 more trips up the climb, and that is where the race would be decided.

In between the climbs, it was just like a chill group ride, plugging along at a leisurely pace which was just fine with me. The second time up, I tried to ride as efficiently as possible, steady, and protected from the wind. I could feel the effects of two trips up the climb, but still felt very comfortable.

Coming into the "prelude" climb before the big one on the last lap, Pitt was the first to make an attack, but it got swarmed very quickly by the group. When we hit the switchbacks on the big one, Dickinson accelerated smoothly away, and Pitt went off in hard chase. I didn't want to blow up at the bottom of the hill, as that would be disastrous. I tried to keep a steady pace, and the U of Michigan rider was climbing right with me. We had a good tempo going, definitely making up time on the Pitt rider, however my legs were giving out, and I was starting to crack. The U Mich rider and I bumped wheels a couple of times, as we were both about at our limits. He was incredibly tenacious, and kept digging deeper. Finally we crested and decided to work together to try and keep up our progress on the Pitt rider. Dickinson was long gone, at this point.

We traded pulls on the rollers, but I was really cracking, my legs were blocking up. I lost U of Michigan's wheel, and he went on to chase down Pitt for second place. Shortly after, RIT came by charging hard. I jumped on his wheel and he led the entire way down the descent and around the final turn before the finishing straight.



I sat on his wheel like a true wheel sucker, and with short acceleration, passed him before the line. Later I found out that Yale was behind and chasing hard 6 seconds back, so that is probably why RIT was so willing to pull.

Kudos to the U Mich rider for battling his way to take second, and second in the crit on Sunday as well. That's an impressive combo. And RIT, taking 3rd in the crit (after 5th in the RR)!

Eric caught the two-up sprint on video.

The Lehigh Cycling blog entry.

A really great road race, probably the toughest course I've ever ridden, felt harder then Battenkill, can't wait to do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers