Monday, November 9, 2009

Spring Mount Cyclocross Race Report

Wow, this race will definitely be a highlight of 2009. The weather was good, the course was tough, and I was buzzing all day off of the endorphins.

The day before the race I went out my first ride with the new team for next year, Lamprey Systems. It was faster that I would have done on the day before a race, but it was a fun ride getting a rotating pace line going for the last few miles.

I showed up about an hour and a half before the start of the race and had a good chance to scope out the course. A sand pit, some muddy sections with 2 small stream crossings, and one set of barriers, it looked a little more technical then my previous 2 races. I started off with a new set of cross tires inflated to the max, and they weren't working well, the going was tough, and traction not so good. After I let some air out, they seemed to work much better.

The day was turning out to be really nice, sunny and much warmer then I expected, I hadn't brought anything less then my insulated long sleeve jersey, so that would have to do. I got to the staging area about 10 minutes before the start, and it was already really full with other C race riders. So I sat in the back and expected to have to do a lot of passing in the first lap. The organizers started making call ups and I was really surprised when he called me up for the first spot. Wow, I totally didn't see that one coming. It must be those fluky state rankings and my points from the Nittany Lion Cross race.

When the whistle blew, I was ready. I think getting called up and having such a great position really charged me up to go out hard and be aggressive in the beginning. I got a good clip in and was off, but no more then 2-3 pedal strokes and I pulled right out! After fumbling around to get back in, I unclipped again before the first turn. Argh, that was frustrating, I went from the front row to 15+ back. I focused on staying smooth and rode hard to get back up to the front. After about 2/3 of a lap I managed to get behind the two leaders and decided that was good spot to try hang. I slipped out on one of the uphill, muddy, off-camber turns and the two guys behind me went by. I got going again and as far as I can tell, stayed in fifth position for the rest of the race.

The course kept getting muddier every lap, and the muddy sections were only getting tougher and slower. I felt like I was working really hard, but getting nowhere. Coming around with 2 laps to go, I started running the mud sections, figuring I could get through faster that way. I got past the lower stream crossing and my right leg seized up like a tree trunk, I was rooted to the spot. I've had cramping before, but never completely locked up, what a strange feeling. I finally got moving again, but I'm sure getting over those barriers was far from graceful.

My average HR for 48 minutes of racing was 179, it felt really tough, but I'm happy with the result. Now I have a spastic twitch in my right tricep, a bruised shoulder, and a black and blue knee.

The next race can't come soon enough.

Marten

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers